MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Nichols Named Adviser in Residence

Want to be a better high school journalism adviser? Join us this summer at The University of Mississippi for three days of fun-but-focused professional development. Whether you’re advising a school newspaper, yearbook, broadcast, magazine or website, we’re here to help guide you and your program to new levels of achievement. Registration is open NOW! Please register before May 10th using the form provided here.

Our Adviser in Residence this year is Sarah Nichols!

Sarah Nichols, MJE, advises Whitney High Student Media (Details yearbook, The Roar newsmagazine and Whitney Update news website) in Rocklin, California, where her students have earned top honors such as NSPA Pacemakers and CSPA Crown awards. Nichols served six years as president of the Journalism Education Association and also is past president of the Journalism Education Association of Northern California and a member of its board of directors. She is certified as a Master Journalism Educator and is active with JEA’s Scholastic Press Rights and Digital Media committees. Nichols has been recognized as National Yearbook Adviser of the Year and as California’s High School Journalism Teacher of the Year. Other honors include JEA’s Carl Towley Award and Medal of Merit, NSPA’s Pioneer Award and CSPA’s Gold Key. Her published works include a yearbook adviser curriculum for Jostens Publishing and the NSPA Yearbook Guidebook. She also teaches Advising Yearbook, a graduate course for the Center for Scholastic Journalism’s online masters program at Kent State University. When she’s not watching baseball, attending concerts or spending time outdoors, Nichols loves to work with journalism students and advisers on editorial leadership, staff culture, publication design and DEI initiatives.

Nichols will be speaking at the Overby Adviser Institute along with other successful advisers in the Mississippi area. Some of those include,

Loidha Bautista, Lafayette HS newspaper, yearbook and broadcast adviser

Terry Cassreino, CJE, St. Joseph Catholic School newspaper, yearbook and broadcast adviser

Shari Chumley, CJE, Tupelo HS newspaper, yearbook and literary magazine adviser

Katrina Berry-Ivy, Tupelo HS broadcast adviser

Carl Smith, MSMS newspaper adviser

Chelsea Thomas, Brandon broadcast adviser

… and more! 

The Overby Adviser Institute will be start on Tuesday, June 18 and conclude with a luncheon on Thursday, June 20.

All sessions will be held in Farley Hall on the University of Mississippi campus.

The tuition for this training is only $300, which includes lodging and most meals.

***TUITION WAIVER: All advisers with 5 or less years of experience may come FREE OF CHARGE. 

Advisers will have their own private hotel room on the Ole Miss campus (Tuesday and Wednesday nights only).

DEADLINE: All advisers should register on or before Friday, May 10. Please don’t wait until the last minute, but also please be certain you can attend before you register.

We hope to see you June 18 through the 20th in Oxford!