MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Berry named MS HS Journalist of the Year

This year’s Mississippi High School Journalist of the Year is Caroline Berry, editor-in-chief of the Charger student newspaper at Oxford High School.

Berry is a senior at Oxford High school and serves as the editor-in-chief, on PBS NewsHour Student Advisory Team, head captain of Oxford HS’s dance team, national qualifier on Oxford HS’s debate team, and many more.

“Caroline has worked really hard throughout her high school career and she is more than deserving of this honor,” the Charger adviser Diala Chaney said. “She is a perceptive, sharp, quick individual and she is a natural born leader.”

Berry will now advance to the national level of the Journalism Education Association’s High School Journalist of the Year competition, where she will compete for up to $3,000 in scholarship award money. As Mississippi’s top scholastic journalist, she will also headline a select group of yet-to-be-announced All-Mississippi honorees at MSPA’s statewide convention on Tuesday, April 2 at the University of Mississippi.

“I find highlighting others at our school, in our community, and in our world is a way to promote the strengths and unique qualities of others,” Berry said. “Journalism brings attention to the issues happening in our community and elevates the exposure of extraordinary circumstances.”

Berry is undecided on where she will attend college, but wants to continue her passion for journalism.”I will continue to be a writer in life. Noticing meaningful moments, spotlighting others, sharing my opinions, and being interested in others will always be who I am at my core,” Berry said. “I plan to go to college and would love the chance to write for a college newspaper. I am not sure what that will lead to, but I do know that my dream job will include caring about elevating others and bringing attention to issues that need addressing in our world.”

“When I received the news I was named the [MS High School] Journalist of the Year, I felt deeply honored. I’m humbled to be recognized amid such strong writers across our state. With so much work required behind the scenes, receiving this recognition helps me feel seen and celebrated,” Berry said.

Berry’s winning portfolio can be found here.