MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Amory High School Yearbook Gives Life to Stories in the Halls

Recently named an “A” grade school, Amory High School houses a roaring journalism program that just keeps growing. 

Advised by senior English and journalism teacher, Caleb Watson, the program consists of a yearbook, literary magazine, news website, and podcast show. 

Watson was involved in his high school journalism class, so it only made sense for him to come back and share his knowledge with his students. 

“It allows various mediums for students to express their creativity while also learning how to work as a team and how to ‘go after’ the story,” Watson said. 

Panorama, Amory’s yearbook, centers around community and ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard. 

The book features unique stories from across the school. Anyone looking back has the opportunity to learn about the little things that make every club and classroom special. 

The yearbook “curates and compiles the stories that echo throughout the halls,” senior staff member Elijah Rainey said.

One story in particular highlights the “Amory Strong” project that was uncovered after a devastating tornado ripped through Amory and surrounding areas. 

The EF3 twister damaged the high school’s roof and various sports facilities. Since March, the community is still rebuilding.

“It set things back,” said Rainey “but also allowed for a more personal story of our town.” 

The staff had the opportunity to interview Governor Tate Reeves to give insight into just how devastating the storm was. 

Students returned to school not long after that night in March. They have been able to bounce back and keep learning new skills. 

Senior staff member Kloee Capps shared how journalism gives students the opportunity to grow through their weaknesses with an emphasis on “how to be more informative.” 

To keep up with all things Panther Journalism, you can follow “AHS The Prowl News” on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. You can also check out their website here

The Panther Journalism team will be taking over the MSPA Instagram on Friday, November 3rd.