MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Pascagoula High School’s Panther News Network produces exciting and informative episodes

Pascagoula High School’s Panther News Network produces weekly episodes that are exciting and informative. 

The staff meets daily during and brainstorms together to decide on what to cover for each segment of the episode.

“We start by brainstorming ideas for segments as well as reaching out to clubs, teams, teachers and administrators to determine what information or news needs to be relayed through PNN. We also watch other school news programs to get ideas for segments,” Hurst said.

The Panther News Network plays an intricate role as they cover the school and Pascagoula community. The staff has covered sports and musical productions but have also done fun segments like “What’s in the Box?”

“We have covered sports, musical and theater productions, academic recognitions, club accomplishments, fun segments like ‘What’s in the Box?’ and ‘Carpool Karaoke’ and PSA announcements,” Pakera Hurst, student reporter, said.

The Panther News Network staff aims to have every student feel seen and heard.

“The mission of PNN is to have every student feel seen and heard. We try to create segments that give different students the opportunity to be on camera. We do this by conducting interviews and doing fun segments during lunches. We also try to make sure that every school club and sports team is featured at least once throughout the year on PNN,” Hurst said.

Students are able to gain skills while on the Panther News Network staff that prepares them for their future careers. Hurst wants to be a pharmacist and gained skills that can be useful throughout her life.

“Being a reporter for PNN helped me to develop my communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of people. I am very excited to pursue my dream career as a pharmacist. I have been accepted to the Early Pharmacy program at Ole Miss,” Hurst said.

The Panther News Network staff will take over the MSPA Instagram on Friday, April 5 on the @MSPA_MS account!