MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Germantown’s yearbook builds a community with Night in the Spotlight

The Stampede, Germantown High School’s yearbook, is an important part of the community as they capture important events and milestones. 

The production of the yearbook is delegated through assigning pages for the staff members to complete, and photography is captured through volunteers. “My team delegates responsibilities by assigning pages and checking the availability of the staff to take pictures at the events. Each staff member has a different set of skills that allows us to distribute the responsibilities,” Mary Greer Flowerday, a member of the production staff, said. 

The first item on the annual agenda is to decide on the theme of the yearbook. “At the beginning of the year, we all discuss and decide on an overall theme for our yearbook. This theme helps us stay on a mutual basis but also gives us room for new page ideas, color schemes, and graphics. Throughout the year, there are always new events unfolding, which help us create new additional pages to the yearbook too,” Audrey Dean, a member of the production staff, said.

One of the events the staff covers is Night in the Spotlight. Night in the Spotlight is GHS’s twist of Beauty and Beau that brings the community together. Held on January 27, boys and girls of grades 9-12 dressed in tuxedos and evening dresses.

“It truly is the participant’s time to be in the spotlight as they take center stage in front of the audience. It’s an event cherished by the entire community, and friends and family enjoy attending it too,” Dean said.

The Stampede staff prepares for the event by choosing photographers, selling tickets, and setting up the stage. “Night in the Spotlight is a big part of not only the yearbook but the student body as a whole. Many students value this as a special life experience, so a lot of preparation goes into the night,” Flowerday said. 

To keep up with The Stampede, you can follow them on Instagram @germantown.yearbook. The staff will be taking over the MPSA Instagram on Tuesday, February 5th on the MSPA_MS account!