MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Tupelo HS’s WTHS Media produces eye-catching episodes

Tupelo High School’s WTHS Media, their broadcast production program, produces bi-weekly episodes that are eye-catching and encompasses the student body.

“Here at Tupelo High School, WTHS Media aims towards the stars for excellence in broadcast journalism. As each episode is published, our staff members discuss glows and grows to better help our shows improve each week,” Thomas Roper, Executive Producer of WTHS Media, said. 

WTHS Media aims to cover in-depth stories on their campus.

“We always look to see what coverage is new on our campus or in the community. I like to tell the students to look for in-depth topics to tell a story with heartfelt soundbites,” Roper said.

Leadership skills are important to have in a student-led organization, such as WTHS Media.

“Teamwork and leadership is key in our classroom. Overall, WTHS Media is an award-winning newscast statewide, regionally, and nationally,” Roper said.

The staff builds memories, including traveling to MSPA conventions.

“My favorite memory is each year WTHS Media traveling to the Spring MSPA convention,” Roper said. “It is always a blast getting to meet other student journalists around the state and attending the classes to learn more about journalism.”

Being a part of the staff prepares the students for their future career, whether it is in journalism or not. Even though Roper is going into the musical theatre field, the skills he gained while being on WTHS Media staff will be useful throughout his life.

“Given to be the Executive Producer, it has given me the opportunity of a lifetime. It has helped grow my leadership and communication skills as well as forming special relationships with my fellow staff members. I plan to attend an arts college when I graduate and major in Musical Theatre. Having these crucial skills will always stand beside me in life,” Roper said.

To keep up with WTHS Media, you can follow them on Instagram @wthsmedia. The staff will be taking over the MSPA Instagram on Wednesday, February 28 on the @MSPA_MS account!