MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

Brandon Broadcast Collects Thousands of Viewers Through Student Engagement

The Bark Broadcast Group located in Brandon High School has a reputation for racking up views through various social media platforms. 

The journalism program has pinpointed key ways to increase viewership, student engagement.

Uploaded almost 7 years ago, BHS’ most popular video is entitled “People React to Being Called Beautiful”, a trend that was popular at the time and totals out to almost 6,000 views. 

As of 2023, the program has looked to Youtube, Instagram, and Tik Tok to engage their audience. 

“We go around the school and do funny interviews and it always gets people interested in what we do and makes them consider joining us,” Junior Social Media Manager, Kynnedi Comegys, said. 

The group produces weekly shows entitled “The Bark” that covers topics around the school and their community. 

While growing their journalistic abilities, the students are also encouraged to have fun and produce creative content. 

When asked about creative control, Comegys added “we have the creative freedom to talk about almost anything we want and we are able to really express ourselves through our broadcast and interviews.”

While some may think that the class should consist of serious journalistic stories, the reaction BHS received from their audience shows that students are learning how to find a target audience and rope them in. 

The Bark Tik Tok account highlights pep rally videos and hallway questions. Most videos include students from outside of the broadcast group which gives them a voice. 

The program also helps students build on their public speaking skills.

“I think the biggest skill I’ve learned was to be brave, I used to not like being in front of people and talking but now I love it,” sophomore Rayner Ward said. 

A little bit of creativity can go a long way and at Brandon High School, anyone can see that spirit shine. 

To stay updated with The Bark BHS, you can follow them on Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube, Twitter, or Facebook

The broadcast group will be taking over the MSPA Instagram story on Monday, November 13!