MISSISSIPPI SCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION

Helping Mississippi's students share their stories since 1947.

REGISTRATION FOR FALL CONVENTION NOW OPEN

The wait is over! Here is everything you need to know for the Fall 2023 Convention at the University of Southern Mississippi!

DONNA LADD TO DELIVER HAMILTON KEYNOTE SPEECH

Donna Ladd is an award-winning journalist, editor and social entrepreneur from Philadelphia, Miss. After leaving the state the day after she graduated from Mississippi State University, vowing to never live here again, she returned 18 years later with a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University. Ladd co-founded the Jackson Free Press in 2002 and the Mississippi Free Press in 2020.

She and her journalism have been covered in Glamour and Reason magazines, Next Tribe, CNN, NPR, CBC, CBS Radio, the BBC, al Jazeera, among other outlets. In 2017, Southern Living magazine named her as one of the “Innovators Changing the South.”

The registration site is up and running!

You can also find the link under the ‘State Conventions’ tab

Registration is $25 per student for MSPA members. For non members, it is $35 per student. Advisors attend for free. Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.

We’re not collecting any payments online or via mail.

You’ll need to bring payment with you to the check-in table on the morning of the convention.

We will only be accepting cash or check (personal or school, your pick). Checks should be made out to MSPA or UM Foundation.

Best of Show Contests

These competitions are something we started long ago in order to honor the good work your students published after our September 15 Best of MS deadline, like this month’s newspaper or broadcast, or stuff that’s still “in progress”, like unpublished yearbook or lit mag spreads, or simply stuff you thought was awesome but couldn’t quite squeeze on a published page somewhere or into another contest, like cool photos or videos. These contests are only for those schools attending our fall convention, though the actual students who produced the work aren’t required to be present. A full list of categories can be found HERE.

Each entry is $5 (paid during registration or at check in) and there is no limit to the number of entries you can submit.

Entries will be accepted via Google Drive until Sunday, October 15.

If you have any questions, reach out to MSPA Director R.J. Morgan, MJE

[email protected]

WE WILL SEE YOU ON OCTOBER 19!