Media Monday Highlights HS Newsrooms in Mississippi

The Mississippi Scholastic Press Association is known for putting the spotlight on high school journalists every fall and spring. There is a lot of work put in over the span of a semester to produce the best stories for the student body. Every month, we will be highlighting 3 of Mississippi’s high school media teams on what they have been working on behind the scenes.

Here’s a rundown on what’s happening in some high school newsrooms across Mississippi:

Madison Central High School

To help create more connections within the school, Madison Central’s Academy of Multimedia and Communications students have started posting their #amcvisionaries. These posts highlight students in the Academy and create a place to share what they love about AMC. They use this outlet as a way to give students an insight into how diverse the academy is in terms of creativity.

Mississippi School for Math and Science

The Vision staff writer Mariane Powell published an article about the return of the Student Honor Court. The Honor Court gives power to the students on disciplinary matters. If a student is not happy with the punishment they are given for residential violations, they are able to take it to a court of selected juniors and seniors. The Honor Court has not been around since the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tupelo High School

Tupelo’s WTHS media has kicked off Black History Month by highlighting African American journalists. The broadcast journalism group has been utilizing their Instagram account by posting daily quotes from influential individuals such as Oprah Winfrey, Lester Holt, and Ida B. Wells.

To submit work for Media Monday, message mspa_ms on Instagram!