MSPA hosted convention Friday in Oxford, winners announced

Over+600+high+school+journalists+gather+in+the+Grove+to+kick+off+the+2017+MSPA+Convention.+

Michael Miller

Over 600 high school journalists gather in the Grove to kick off the 2017 MSPA Convention.

The Mississippi Scholastic Press Association hosted over 600 student journalists and honored some of the state’s best young storytellers at its annual statewide convention on Friday.

The MSPA Statewide Convention was held on the historic University of Mississippi campus in Oxford, Miss., and is the largest gathering of high school journalists in the state. This year’s convention saw 57 staffs from 34 different schools in attendance.

“This event continues to grow and see more statewide involvement,” MSPA director R.J. Morgan said. “There’s not a better project-based learning environment on a high school school campus than a well-run journalism classroom, and it’s refreshing to see more and more schools come to that conclusion.”

As part of the convention, MSPA announced winners in its annual Best of MS competitions.

Oxford’s Davis McCool was recognized as the Mississippi High School Journalist of the Year. He was presented a $250 check from the Mississippi Press Association.

McCool’s publication, The Charger, was named the state’s top newspaper, and Oak Grove’s The Warrior won best yearbook.

St. Joseph Catholic School (Madison) won best broadcast for their Bruin News Now program, while Murrah High School’s The Pleiades claimed the top spot for literary magazine.

Advisers of the Year

Newspaper – Diala Chaney, Oxford High School

Yearbook – Mandy Mahan, d’Iberville High School

Broadcast – Terry Cassreino, St. Joseph Catholic School

Literary Magazine – Sarah Ballard, Murrah High School

Editors of the Year

Newspaper – Davis McCool, Oxford High School

Yearbook – Sarah Abigale Driggers, Washington School

Broadcast – Gracyn Ashmore, Oxford High School

Literary Magazine – Anastasia Taylor, Murrah High School

Each adviser, editor and publication of the year will receive a $100 check from the Meek School of Journalism and New Media at Ole Miss.

MSPA also honored students, advisers and their works in 80 other categories, as well as with 23 carry-in awards. Links to a list of winners and their entries are listed below.

The convention serves as an opportunity for students to celebrate the year’s accomplishments and learn new skills to guide them forward.

Students had to opportunity to attend more than 40 breakout sessions geared toward improving their school newspapers, yearbooks, broadcasts and literary magazines.

After attending breakout sessions and a lunch in The Grove, students moved to the Gertrude Ford Center for the Performing Arts to hear best-selling author and essayist Kiese Laymon deliver the Pam Hamilton Keynote Address.

For more information, contact director R.J. Morgan at [email protected].

FULL AWARD LISTINGS – NEWSPAPER

FULL AWARD LISTINGS – YEARBOOK

FULL AWARD LISTINGS – BROADCAST

FULL AWARD LISTINGS – LITERARY MAGAZINE

FULL AWARD LISTINGS – ALL-PUBLICATION & SCHOLARSHIPS

FULL AWARD LISTINGS – CARRY-INS